< Back to news

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) – what you need to know

Date posted:
1st January 2021

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help you with some of the extra costs if you have a long term ill-health or disability.

If you are aged from 16 to below your state pension age and are not already getting Disability Living Allowance (DLA), you can claim PIP now.

PIP can be paid regardless of your income, savings or National Insurance contribution record and is a tax-free benefit. You can get PIP even if you are working or studying. If you are a carer who has care needs, you can claim PIP for yourself and this will not affect your Carer’s Allowance.

Getting PIP does not reduce other benefits, it may even increase them. If you have a carer, claiming PIP may help them to qualify for certain benefits (such as Carers Allowance). PIP may also entitle you and/or your carer to further help with council tax.

The amount you receive depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

There are no restrictions on how you can spend your PIP money, and you do not have to spend it on paying for the care that you need. However, the council can take PIP into account when calculating how much you might need to pay for any care services.

Further information

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has published 5 short videos to help give people an overview of the process of PIP.

For more information including how to make a claim, visit GOV.UK’s dedicated PIP website page.

Need help making a claim?

Halton Housing’s dedicated team of Welfare Benefit and Money Advice experts have helped customers obtain nearly £400,000 worth of PIP payments in the last year. The team are on hand to help you with any welfare, money or benefit advice queries or if you are struggling with your rent payments. You can contact the team via the MyHaltonHome or email welfare@haltonhousing.co.uk.


Share this article