< Back to news
state pension

Universal Credit and non-dependant deductions

Date posted:
16th March 2021
state pension

A non-dependent deduction or ‘Housing Costs contribution’ can be deducted from the Housing Costs element of your Universal Credit claim if you have someone aged 21 or over living with you.

You can find out more about how much will be deducted on the Entitledto website

What you need to do

If you, your partner or a dependent living in your property are receiving Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payments or Attendance Allowance, then this deduction may be taken from you incorrectly.

Check your Universal Credit claim using your online journal, and if you’re having deductions made from your UC housing costs, please contact our Welfare Benefit and Money Advice Team who can check your entitlement and help get any errors on your claim corrected.

Share this article