< Back to news
universal credit logo

Universal Credit - you’re in control

Date posted:
1st January 2021
universal credit logo

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit (UC) gives you complete control of your money – the main difference being that your rent will no longer be paid directly to your landlord. Instead, your benefits will be paid direct to you. Another feature of Universal Credit is that you, the claimant, will have to budget your money on a monthly basis rather than on a weekly basis.

Households claiming the most means-tested benefits, such as Job Seekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit, or Child and Working Tax Credit will be changed over to Universal Credit. UC is a single monthly payment and includes your existing Housing Benefit.

So, as well as budgeting your rent, and making sure your landlord gets paid on time, you’ll also need to budget your bills and spending every month too. This means you’ll be in control of what’s going in and out, but the changes may be a little daunting.

Switching to Universal Credit

If you need to apply for UC, you can do so by visiting the Gov.uk site.

If you find yourself needing a little bit of help making the switch to UC, please visit Citizens Advice help to claim service.

If you’re a Halton Housing customer and are still struggling with the switch to UC, please get in touch with a member of our Welfare Benefit and Money Advice team.

Share this article